Sunday, January 29, 2017

Book Review: The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul


Author: Douglas Adams
Title: The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul
Publisher: Pocket Books
Publish Date: Oct 10, 1988
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb:  When a passenger check-in desk at London's Heathrow Airport disappears in a ball of orange flame, the explosion is deemed an act of God. But which god, wonders holistic detective Dirk Gently? What god would be hanging around Heathrow trying to catch the 3:37 to Oslo? And what has this to do with Dirk's latest--and late-- client, found only this morning with his head revolving atop the hit record "Hot Potato"? Amid the hostile attentions of a stray eagle and the trauma of a very dirty refrigerator, super-sleuth Dirk Gently will once again solve the mysteries of the universe...


Review: I've been trying to get into the Dirk Gently series. I've not been having a good time with it though.

Unlike the first book, Tea Time gets into the story fairly quickly and Dirk gets quickly involved in the craziness.

I don't know if I can give this book the review I want to give it. Douglas Adams is quirky and if you aren't used to his style of writing a bit confusing. For a shorter read, I always find myself slogging my way through this series. I don't remember taking that long with the Hitchhiker books, but I read those in college and that was a long time ago.

What made this book interesting was the involvement of the Gods, Odin and Thor. They are central to the part of the story that involves the explosion at Heathrow. That's Thor's fault.

Thanks to the Marvel movies, I kept thinking of Chris Helmsworth and  Anthony Hopkins. I'm trying to imagine Thor counting all the stones in Wales.


Then there's the other stuff...like Dirk's very dirty fridge. The client that lost his head on a record player that is stuck on a song called "Hot Potato" and a whole lot of other freaky things.

At the end of the book, I'm not sure Dirk solved anything so much as he got dragged into things. 

I enjoyed this book and I may continue on with this series at some point.

Rating: 4 flowers


0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs