Monday, January 6, 2014

TLC Book Tours Book Review: The Dancing Master

About The Dancing Master

Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers (January 7, 2014)

Review Copy Provided By: TLC Book Tours & the publisher
Finding himself the man of the family, London dancing master Alec Valcourt moves his mother and sister to remote Devonshire, hoping to start over. But he is stunned to learn the village matriarch has prohibited all dancing, for reasons buried deep in her past.
Alec finds an unlikely ally in the matriarch’s daughter. Though he’s initially wary of Julia Midwinter’s reckless flirtation, he comes to realize her bold exterior disguises a vulnerable soul–and hidden sorrows of her own.
Julia is quickly attracted to the handsome dancing master–a man her mother would never approve of–but she cannot imagine why Mr. Valcourt would leave London, or why he evades questions about his past. With Alec’s help, can Julia uncover old secrets and restore life to her somber village…and to her mother’s tattered heart?
Learn more about The Dancing Master HERE.



Review: The Dancing Master is one part regency and one part fairy tale, or at least that's how the novel reads in my eyes. The town Alec and his family find themselves in reminds me a bit of Solemntown from Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. There is no dancing in the village. And there's a secret surrounding the why of it.

If you pay attention in the prologue you'll have an idea of what that reason is.

Alec is the real reason to read this book. I liked him a lot more than I did Julia for most of the book. I also loved the fact that Julie let a nice portion of this story be told from his point of view.

The story will have a lot of people thinking of the film Footloose, that is, if it were set in Regency England.  I love it when books imitate other things in pop culture, where it be on purpose or not. (Now please get Footloose out of my head)

But let's get back to why this story is so fabulous. It is about secrets and both Julia's family and Alec's that shape why they are in the positions that they are in.

I was really impressed by how Ms Klassen kept you guessing about Lady Amelia and her past. When all was finally revealed I was really happy for everyone that the past was the past, and even the people who behaved in a slightly villainous matter weren't all that bad.

By the time I turned the last page, I have to admit to having a few tears in my eyes for everyone involved.

This is a Christian romance, but not to worry, to me it was more a clean romance with a touch of faith. Truthfully, I love Regency Romances because they are usually more tame, so this was a perfect read for me. I look forward to reading more of Julie's books in the future.

Rating: 5 flowers





2 comments:

Lover Of Romance said...

Nice review!! I love the sound of this one, and the cover is so charming.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

"one part regency and one part fairy tale" sounds like a great combination to me!

Thanks for being on the tour.

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs