Friday, November 27, 2015

Book Review: A Christmas Vow Of Seduction

Author: Maisey Yates
Title: A Christmas Vow of Seduction
Publisher: Harlequin Presents
Publish Date: Oct 20, 2015
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: 
A Christmas present for the man who has everything… With one band of gold Prince Andres of Petras can erase his past—albeit pleasurable—sins. But his prospective bride is untamable Princess Zara, so the playboy prince must seduce her into compliance and crown her by Christmas! The wayward princess of Tirimia has spent years hiding her untouched heart, and her convenient husband-to-be seems determined to keep it that way. Yet his caresses promise a sensual awakening that's impossible to resist. But once Zara's given him her hand and her body, it won't be long before he has her heart…



Review:  This story was different from most of the presents novels that I read. Prince Andres didn't feel like the typical alpha male. Sure he was domineering, but he didn't have the arrogance that I'm used to with the heroes from this line of books.

One thing I wish I could say about this book was that I knew where the imaginary country of Petras was. I'm used to desert settings with these books, but that wasn't the case here, but Maisey never really explained the setting much. In fact, I found most of this book to be underdeveloped and a little hurried.

Zara is a princess from a neighboring country who had been raised by gypsies since the royal family was disposed. Prince Andres is told by his brother, the king that he must marry her for diplomatic reasons.

This story is set in modern times, so this doesn't click with me. I don't think arranged marriages are all that common these days. But then the story seemed to want to take a My Fair Lady spin, with Andres trying to tame her, but that doesn't really get off the ground.

There was so much baggage between the two characters, but it doesn't stop them from ending up in bed together and falling in love in a week.

I think that's what spoiled this for me. The true love found in 1 week didn't work for me, even though I really liked the characters, especially Andres, who really is the focal character. The reader is in his head more than Zara. At times you'll feel sorry for him and other times you'll want to hit him in the head, really hard.

This is part of a duet of novels and the next story will focus on Andres' brother and his wife Tabitha. I wish they would have had a bigger part in this book, but they were really in the background

This was a good enough read, but it didn't wow me.

Rating: 3 flowers




Maisey's playlist

I build a playlist for every book. Music is a really important part of my process. Now, I’m a huge country music fan, but country doesn’t exactly mesh with my Presents playlists so I have to do a little digging to find the right music for them.

These songs really embodied the story in A Christmas Vow of Seduction, because a lot of it is about being drawn to someone even though you know you shouldn’t be (The One That Got Away, Devil’s Backbone, Animals). Baptized and Bring Me to Life really capture the need to be made new by love, and Hurt Somebody is the perfect fall of the playboy song to me.



The Devil’s Backbone by The Civil Wars

Bad Blood by Taylor Swift

Unkiss Me by Maroon 5

Animals by Maroon 5

Counting Stars by One Republic

Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

Baptized by Daughtry

Hurt Somebody by Dierks Bentley

Shake it Out by Florence + the Machine

Stranded by Plumb

Fair Game by Sia


The One That Got Away by the Civil Wars

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs