Friday, July 22, 2016

Book Blast: Death At The Day Lily Cafe W/ Guest Post


Synopsis:

Rosalie Hart returns to the sleepy town of Cardigan on Maryland’s Eastern Shore in this delightful traditional cozy mystery series filled with to-die-for recipes and small-town charm.

Rosalie Hart has finally opened the café of her dreams. Decked out with ochre-tinted walls and stocked with delicious organic fare, the Day Lily Café is everything Rosalie could have hoped for. But not five minutes into the grand opening, Doris Bird, a dear and trusted friend, cashes in on a favor—to help clear her little sister Lori of a first-degree murder charge.

With the help of her best friend and head waiter Glenn, Rosalie is on the case. But it’s not going to be easy. Unlikable and provocative, murder victim Carl James Fiddler seems to have insulted nearly everyone in town, and the suspect list grows daily. When Rosalie’s daughter Annie gets caught in the crossfire, the search for the killer becomes personal in this charming cozy perfect for fans of Dianne Mott Davidson and Joanne Fluke.

Bio:

Wendy Sand Eckel is the author of Murder at Barclay Meadow, the first in the Rosalie Hart mystery series set on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. A member of the Mystery Writers of America, she has degrees in criminology and social work and a passion for words and their nuanced meanings. Death at the Day Lily Café, the second in this series, will be released by Minotaur Books July 26, 2016​.​

A few lessons learned on the road to getting published
Now that the first two novels in my Rosalie Hart mystery series have been published, Murder at Barclay Meadow and Death at the Day Lily Café, I realize I have learned a few lessons from all those scraped knees and left hooks to my self esteem it took to get there.
Dont let rejection distract you from the goal line.
It takes sheer stubbornness and a little bit of knuckleheadness to keep the faith that you will one day be published. It took years before Murder at Barclay Meadow was ready for prime time. I attended conference, writer workshops, joined a critique group, and read everything I could get my hands on regarding how to get published. But I hadnt learned the first lesson.
Write a really good book.
You can pitch and cajole all you want, but sometimes you just have to accept that you need to give the book another go. At every pitch event, workshop, you name it, everyone had an opinion on what I should change, what was wrong, how I needed a hook. At first my hackles would flare up. Its good enough, I thought. And then I started to take in what they were saying.
Once I found my agent, we spent six months editing and tweaking and polishing what I thought was a finished product before he shopped it to publishers. And when we found a home at Minotaur, I worked with my editor for another six months to get the book in tip top shape. And that included cutting 11,000 words. Which leads to the next.
Listen to your critics.
Unless they hate you for some other personal vendetta, there are pearls of wisdom in the most unlikely places. People often say, what was that like for you to have to edit so much? Didnt you get defensive? And the answer is, no. I can honestly say their advice was spot on and every pass made it better. Ive learned a lot about myself through this process. About my character and tenacity. But the biggest lesson is . . .
Listen.
Listening is a practiced skill. But the rewards are immense. Listening requires being in the moment, opening up to learning, breathing, and staying quiet. I recently read an article that said the best negotiating tool is silence. Stillness brings good things. And allowing myself to open up to suggestions has made me smarter and a much better writer.
That was the first book.
While Murder at Barclay Meadow was at the presses, it was time to write the second in the series, Death at the Day Lily Café. After three months of hard work I was able to deliver what I thought was a pretty good first draft.
The mystery doesnt work,my editor said. Everything else is great. Oh, and I need the rewrite in two months.Two months? And I have to rewrite the entire mystery???
At a book event in Arlington, VA, I shard the spotlight with Ellen Crosby, a lovely woman who is the author of the very successful Virginia wine country cozy mystery series. When the topic of writing the second book came up, she looked at me with a kind smile. She had already written seven in her series. The first book can take you as long as you want. The second is like getting shot out of a cannon.
Survive the Cannon Launch.
To quote ET, Its reality, Greg.As much as I got to massage and rewrite the first book at my leisure, that ship had sailed. I had a deadline and I was frozen in fear of failure.
Listening to NPR one day in my car, I was lucky to hear John Grisham discuss his writing process. After turning up the volume, I listened closely. Apparently Mr. Grisham rises early and goes to his desk immediately. He writes for six hours each day. With his habits and diligence he can knock out a novel every six months. He spends the next six months promoting. And on January 1, he is back at his desk.
At that same event in Arlington, Ellen Crosby answered a similar question about writing habits. Apparently she gets up before her family each morning and has a word count minimum. Once she hits that number, she goes about her day.
Wow, I thought. Cannon launching. I could never do that. When it is time for me to write, Im like a dog who needs to circle several times before settling in. I need my house to be clean, my bills to be paid, all surfaces clear to avoid distraction. Once Im in the zone Im good to go. But sometimes that doesnt kick in until 7:00 PM. Which leads to the next lesson.
Know thyself.
And go with it. Dont fight the process and dont feel guilty for not being John Grisham. One of the perks of being a writer is I get to go to work in my slippers. If I write until 1:00 AM, then I have put in a full days work.
And yes, all ye hermits, dont forget the book promotion. Once youre lucky enough to get published, you have to replace the slippers with pumps and a broad perky smile. Dont get me wrong, I like meeting people, its the self promotion that makes me uncomfortable. I could sell you a used car, but how do you sell yourself?
When I asked my friends to attend yet another event, I started to quote a line from Gladiator. The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end.I hoped that would put them at ease. Or maybe the purpose was to put me at ease.
Surprisingly, no one grew tedious with my marketing efforts. They were excited for me and beyond supportive. I guess when you work this hard and have something worth sharing, its okay to ask people to give it a look. Humility is lovely. But it doesnt mean you cant sell books.
So when I asked my editor what it takes to get a third book deal, she said, sell this one. And then I can be back in my slippers? I have learned to embrace my inner John Grisham from January through June. Now its time to work on the second half of the year. And so . . .

Have fun with the book promotion. And your readers will too.



0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs