Monday, March 11, 2019

Book Review: All Your Perfects

Author: Colleen Hoover
Title: All Your Perfects
Publisher: Atria
Publish Date: July 17, 2018
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: Colleen Hoover delivers a tour de force novel about a troubled marriage and the one old forgotten promise that might be able to save it.

Quinn and Graham’s perfect love is threatened by their imperfect marriage. The memories, mistakes, and secrets that they have built up over the years are now tearing them apart. The one thing that could save them might also be the very thing that pushes their marriage beyond the point of repair.

All Your Perfects is a profound novel about a damaged couple whose potential future hinges on promises made in the past. This is a heartbreaking page-turner that asks: Can a resounding love with a perfect beginning survive a lifetime between two imperfect people?

Review: "If you only shine a light on your flaws, all your perfects will dim."

That quote came from a fortune cookie and is the revolving theme in this book.  I absolutely loved that quote and I truly hope I don't forget it.

The book is probably the most emotionally gutting thing I've ever read. I loved it and hated it at times. I truly understand why Colleen Hoover has such a huge fan base. I was totally invested in Quinn and Graham, probably more so than in any other book I've read.

This book is about a marriage in crisis and the way it got to be that way.

Quinn is a heroine you hurt for, you adore and a good many times, you want to shake silly. The issues in her marriage to Graham all revolve around her inability to conceive. I cried for her many times, but just as many times I wanted to scream at her for just not doing something but feel sad. I guess looking back on it, it makes her more human. (even though I still wanted her to just talk to her husband!!!)

Then there's Graham..and what he did. Again..where did the communication go. I loved him so much for his devotion..up to a point and then I go on shaky ground, but then again what he did was human. He was flawed, though...very very flawed.

The book is told through dueling timelines. It shows the buildup to the marriage to the present. I'm not sure if that was a good thing, because it left you wondering how a couple so freaking in love and having all this sex, loses all communication about the thing that matters most and then have Graham do the same thing to Quinn that got them together?

Colleen Hoover sure likes to put her heroine and her readers through the wringer.

The ending tied things up a little to easily for me. With all that was going on for me, Quinn and Graham should have been working more...or harder to piece things together. Happy Happy, Joy Joy returned to their lives much to easily especially after nearly 300 angst ridden pages.

This isn't my usual type of book, in fact, I'm not sure how to describe it, because it is in no way a romance novel. It is a fast paced, emotional read. If that's your thing, this is definitely a book for you.

Rating: 4 flowers



0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs