Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Book Review: Half Truths

Author:  Claire Contreras
Publish Date: Oct 21, 2019
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: You’ve heard of these groups – the secretive ones that only the crème de la crème are invited into, the ones outsiders speculate about for centuries – I’m the second in my family invited to attend, but to them, I’m fresh meat. New blood. New money, too. They think they’ll elbow past me, that I’m here for their amusement, for them to walk all over, they’ll find out soon enough that I’m not.

I may look like one of them, with my designer bags and clothes straight from the Parisian runways, but I’m not. I’m here for answers, to take revenge for blood spilled on their centuries-old Persian rugs. I transferred here in search for answers about what happened to my older brother, who hightailed out of here, and my friend who seemingly disappeared into thin air. I certainly wasn’t here for the attention of the star hockey player, regardless of how much he willed my eyes his way. I wasn’t here for his scrutiny or his judgment or to read into his mysterious aura. I was here for the society, because only they held the answers I needed. That was, until I found out that in order to get those answers, I needed to go through him. He’s saying if I want in, I have to play by their rules, follow their lead. It’s a game I’m willing to play.

I may be the second person I know of to be invited into their society, but I’ll be the first to make it out intact.

Review: This book was amazing to an extent. I loved so many aspects of the book. Mae and the Secret Societies and the mystery of Lana's disappearance. That is what will pull you right in to the story.

Mae has the poor little rich girl vibe going on, and she wants to break away from her family fortune and be her own woman. She wants to know what happened to her high school friend and her brother.

Mae is very strong willed girl/woman. She knows what she wants and she's going to get it, and what she wants is answers, even it means becoming part of one of the secret societies and getting involved with bad boy Logan Fitzgerald.

The prologue is really what pulled me in to this book. You see the beginnings of what possibly happened to Lana and her brother Lincoln.

As you start learning more about the societies,  Mae starts getting involved with the superstar hockey player, Logan. He's a bit arrogant and a bit of a bad boy, but he really is perfect for her, especially when you are introduced to her ex, Travis, who is part of the reason she transferred to this college in her senior year.


Its kind of amusing that college life plays little to no part in this book. There is a scene with Mae and Logan in a woman's studies class, but there is no college life here other than the societies, which are mysterious but not quite as dark and scary as I wanted them to be.

Little by little things are revealed but for me the ending just fell so very flat for me. Everything just happened and got wrapped up to nicely for me.

The first 80 percent of this book is a 5 star, but the ending spoiled it. It needed more, so very much more than you actually got and that was super disappointing to me, because the rest of the book was stellar.

I hope the second book in the series is strong the whole way through, because I want to know more about the secret societies, especially the red cloaks.

Rating: 3 flowers




0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs