Monday, August 17, 2020

Book Review: Maid of Dishonor

Author: Heidi Rice
Title: Maid of Dishonor
Publisher: Harlequin Kiss
Publish Date: August 20, 2013
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: When she's very, very bad…...

Gina Carrington knows exactly how to have fun! But when she sleeps with her friend's brother, the off-limits Carter, she quickly discovers she's overstepped the mark.

...…life is so much more fun!

Years later, Gina sees Carter again to prepare for her friend's wedding, and she can't help but wonder what the harm would be in one more night…. He's available, gorgeous and behind that laid-back Southern charm there's a wild side even she can't tame! But Gina has secrets which she can't hide forever—will their chemistry be strong enough to keep Carter by her side when her secrets come to light?


Review:  My review for this book can be summed up in the word, ARGH!

I was having trouble finding a whole lot of good plot or substance in this story.

Gina is not the most likable heroine for a Harlequin imprint novel. She's flawed to a huge proportions, and the way we see her from the start doesn't make it easy to ever feel sympathetic to her.

Lets just say I didn't like this book. OK, I can almost say I hated this book and I don't usually say that, even if its a Danielle Steel novel.

Let me just explain why a 200 page book of fluff just didn't do it for me.

1. Gina is just not a heroine I warmed up to. She calls herself a tramp and at the onset, she pretty much lives up to that definition of herself. I've read a lot of books with "trampy" heroines. I cut my teeth on Jackie Collins. Gina is just MEH.

2. No relationship building between her and Carter AT ALL. Its basically just a sexfest, and if you like reading that kind of thing, maybe you'll like this one, but for me, it fell incredibly flat.

3. This is part of a series about a gaggle of female friends. Those friendships don't seem at all important, as again this book is mostly about Gina and Carter and there ongoing sexfest.

4. If sex is going to be the primary thing that moves the story along, it should make the reader tingly. Again, this book left me feeling MEH.

5. Going back to the beginning and Gina's genuine awfulness. The romance is based on her making her friends brother, CHEAT on his bride to be, 2 FREAKING WEEKS before the wedding. She also is a freaking cow to her friend, who happens to be Carter's sister who idolizes him, by telling  her about it.  I'm not good with the cheating trope at all. It may not have been marital cheating but when you are 2 weeks shy of a wedding that is just as good for me.

6. All the little details given to rationalize Gina's behavior.  How about she is a shitty person? Yes, she's trying to be better, but she was a shitty person.

Is that enough reasons? I could probably think of a few more.

I don't often give 1 flower reviews. I can usually find something redeeming about a book, with this one the only thing good about it is the pretty cover.

Rating: 1 flower



0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs