Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Bookish Snob Promotions Guest Post: Toni LoTempio



Crafting a Heroine


Hi, I’m Toni LoTempio, a

uthor of the paranormal romantic suspense novels NO REST FOR THE WICCA and RAVEN’S KISS.
Today I thought I’d speak about crafting a heroine.  What goes into that, some of you might wonder?
Well, I’m not particularly fond of the old Harlequin stereotype, the maiden in distress rescued by the handsome hunk hero.  Probably because I like mysteries and grew up weaned on Nancy Drew, I likemy heroines to have a bit of spunk (no, can that – a LOT of spunk) and a backbone – although they do get a bit mushy when their Prince comes along LOL
In No Rest for the Wicca, Morgan Hawkes is a “ghost whisperer” meaning she can talk to spirits who haven’t yet departed this plane. She also has a lot of voodoo knowledge thanks to her father, some of which didn’t serve her in good stead when she was a Homicide detective – so now she’ a bit leery of trusting her abilities.  Her guilt over her partner’s death has also made her a bit –crotchety, shall we say?
And then enter Cole St. John.  This Inheritor Vampire knows just what buttons to push on her to get a response,and to let her open up and expose her feelings.  Yes, by the end of the book they’re madly in love (of course) but it was a journey for them to get to that point.
Ditto Raven Grace, the heroine of RAVEN’S KISS.  A college senior, she had high expectations of a career in law enforcement, until a demon’s bite turned her into a Shapeshifter.  Now a member of the Recovery – an organization who keeps the peace between humanity and errant Others – Raven’s motivated by a need for revenge on the demon who turned her. However, unknown to her, the demon had a hidden agenda, which she finds out when she makes the leap into parallel time – and meets up with a fiery, redheaded Scotsman who’s just as stubborn and opinionated as she is.
Instant love?  Hardly.  But eventually the two of them get together – because in the end, they’re good for each other – and isn’t that what it’s all about, really?
When I wrote the outline for these two strong women , I confess, I put a bit of myself into them – after all, they are my creations, how could I not?  Although I would hope I might not be as snarky or defensive as Raven or Morgan seem to appear sometimes, they both do have one thing in common: underneath their gruff exteriors beats a heart of gold – someone who would go that extra mile for someone they truly loved.
I hope you enjoyed this little insight into my characters, and I hope you’ll read Raven and Wicca and also feel free to stop by my website: www.tonilotempio.webs.com or my (andRocco’s) blog: www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com  to find out more about coming events!



All About….TONI LOTEMPIO
Hello!  I’m Toni LoTempio, author of Paranormal Romance/Romantic Suspense/YA Fantasy!  I’ve been writing ever since I was old enough to read, when I didn’t like the endings of the stories my mother read me I simply rewrote them J  Even though I write mainly in the paranormal genre, I have also written straight horror, as well as contemporary romance/suspense.
In 1995, I joined the staff of SUSABELLA PASSENGERS AND FRIENDS, a pulp magazine for collectors of antique children’s literature (Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, etc.)  Currently I’ve written over 300 articles for that magazine, and I was the first recipient of their Margaret Sutton Award for Distinguished Writing in 1998.  I joined the staff of NIGHT OWL REVIEWS IN January 2011 as the suspense reviewer/columnist.  My column, DARK STREETS, which features articles on suspense authors and their novels, is featured on a monthly basis. I love to spotlight new talent, so if you’re a suspense author, please contact me!

In 2007, Whiskey Creek Press published BOUND BY BLOOD, a tale of possession, and EBONY, which deals with zombies and the dark side of man. EBONY was #2 on the Fictionwise bestseller list for e-books for the month of July 2007, beating out Stephen King’s Lisey’s Story. (and no one was more shocked than I, LOL) In 2010, after countless attempts to land another agent, I took the advice of a fellow author HP Mallory, and self published NO REST FOR THE WICCA, which has been on Amazon’s list of top one hundred in Occult since March 2011.  My short story, THE SACRIFICE, appears in the e-published anthology KISS ME KILL ME, and I also have a YA fantasy, MY SUPERHERO SISTER on B&N and Amazon.  A complete listing of my books appears at the end of this bio.

Currently single, I work full time and live in Clifton, NJ, with  my muses:  Rocco, Maxx, Gata and Trixie.  (Rocco is also known as Rocco the SciFi Blogging Cat and has appeared on the SciFi Saturday Night website and radio show, and also on the Kids Need To Read website where he holds the distinction of being the first (and possibly only!) blogging cat to support this charity!)

I love hearing from fans, so please feel free to friend me on FACEBOOK, and visit my website, www.tonilotempio.webs.com  Rocco and I post daily M-F on his blog, www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com


Toni LoTempio Books:

Bound by Blood – Whiskey Creek Press, trade paperback & e-book, Feb. 2007 (paranormal suspense)
Ebony – Whiskey Creek Press, trade paperback & e-book, July 2007 (paranormal suspense)
Witch’s Pawn – Echelon Press, trade paperback & e-book, December 2008 (horror)
Nom de Plume – Whiskey Creek Press, trade paperback & e-book, November 2008 (contemporary romance)
It’s in the Cards – Whiskey Creek Press, e-book, February 2010 – (paranormal romance)
Out of the Ashes – Whiskey Creek Press, e-book, May 2010 – Fantasy
No Rest for the Wicca – Amazon & B&N Pub-It, e-book, September 2010 – paranormal suspense
My Superhero Sister – Amazon & B&N Pub-It, e-book, Trade Paperback - January 2011 – YA Fantasy

Kiss Me, Kill Me – Amazon & B&N Pub-It, e-book anthology –February 2011 – Short Story, “The Sacrifice”

Raven’s Kiss – Amazon & B&N Pub-It, e-book, & Trade Paperback April, 2011 – Paranormal Romance

Next stop on the tour: June 22 - Faerotic Prose

 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to read this so badly :)

Beverly said...

I really enjoyed this one!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs