Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Chick Ponders Bookish Things: Genres I Love & Other Things


I never realized how diverse my taste in books was until recently. Granted I love to read romance, I really think my taste in books is pretty broad. I love romance, mysteries, chicklit, general fiction and even some non-fiction if it interests me.

Right now I'm reading a lot of historical romance and cozy mysteries. I've always been a sucker for those genres.

I'm not the kind of person that sticks with one type of book. In fact, I have a hard time figuring out people that don't deviate from a certain type of book. I like to read about different people and situations. I think pigeon holing yourself into one area can really keep you from learning more or finding new things.

But that's me.

There were times when all I read were historical novels about the queens of Europe. In junior high I was a Jean Plaidy addict. I spent summers reading whichever books were available at the library and if I happened to find one of her books at a flea market, well life couldn't get much better.

I had a regency kick too. Marion Chesney was my favorite author. I think I have about 80% of all the books she's written. (And this lady wrote a lot, believe me)

Then I read as many Anne Rice novels as I could stomach. Oddly I didn't make it much further than Queen of the Damned. I have a love/hate thing with vampires, but hey, at least the ones I read about don't sparkle!

But after awhile, I got burned out reading just one kind of book. I think that's why I have to change it up so much. Sure I'll read a few cozy mysteries back to back, but for the most part, I like to read something a little different from what I read last.

That way I don't get bored.

What about you?

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs