Thursday, July 30, 2020

Book Review: A Gift From The Sea

Author: Anna Schmidt
Title: Gift From The Sea
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
Publish Date: May 1, 2009
Book Blurb: A steadfast faith kept nurse Maggie Hunter going through the darkest days of the Great War. But her fiance's death overseas shattered her trust in God and her heart.

Now an injured man has washed up on the shores of her Nantucket home, and to save him, Maggie must put more than her skill and dedication on the line....Wartime tragedy cost Stefan Witte everything--and converted him to the cause of peace.


But to deliver vital information to American authorities, he must fight Maggie's stubborn refusal to believe or forgive. Soon he will risk his life to win her trust--and their heaven-sent future together.


Review: I was so intrigued by a historical set in Nantucket during WWI. I just wish the story delivered more. When Stefan is found washed up on shores, Maggie's parents rush to care for the man they much later learn is a German.

Maggie has lost all faith from the loss of her intended to the Great War, and is full of mistrust for the injured man.

I wish I could say I loved this book, but the story offered little to recommend it for me. It sort of plodded along with things happening that finally saw the two main characters coming to a common ground. (Love?)

For me the romance, and I couldn't figure out how it actually happened was lackluster. While I came to care for all of the characters, and your heart could break for Maggie's loss as well as Stefan's the story is perhaps too "clean" for it to have any oomph in the romance department.

The premise of a love that crosses the sides of a war might have worked if this were set in Europe or if it just had a little spice, and by spice I don't mean sex. I'm not a huge fan of super sexy romance, but it needed a few stolen kisses or something that really would have shown these two people falling in love. It went from I don't trust you to I love you without enough development for me.

The ending had some nice drama though, both for the couple and family.

It was a sweet little story, but it was just a little bit lacking.

Rating: 3 flowers



0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs