Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Book Review: Blood Orange Brewing

Author:Laura Childs
Title: Blood Orange Brewing
Publisher: Berkley
Publish Date: March 6, 2007
Buy:Amazon
Book Blurb: When social darling Delaine Dish throws a lavish benefit for the restoration of a run-down Victorian home, Theodosia Browning donates tea and treats from her Indigo Tea Shop. But the grand unveiling of Theo's spread proves a gruesome scene when a beloved local politico falls dead with a jagged piece of metal in his neck. Anyone at the event could be the culprit, but the police have few leads-and no suspects. Try as she might, Theodosia can't help but wonder who the murderer is. But her investigation will lead her into places darker than the blackest tea ...


Review: This is book 7 in the tea shop mysteries series. It was cute but it was a little slow for my tastes. I don't like my cozy mysteries to drag, and this one felt that way to me. It was almost like the mystery took a back burner to the descriptions of food and tea. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Most of the time Theo is having a hard time finding clues and by the time she thinks she knows who might have done it, well, the book is nearly finished. Then there was the matter of another body turning up and Earl Grey disappearing. Earl Grey is Theo's dog, for those not familiar with the series.

Everything ties together well, though I have to say, if they were going to kill off a second character in this book I wish it would have been Delaine. God is she obnoxious!

I've heard a lot of good things about this series, so I'm going to give the series another chance, Theo, Drayton and Haley were fun characters, and I loved reading about the teas and food, though I have to say, I'd never use any of the recipes in this series. (I'm a simple girl when it comes to food. I leave the gourmet stuff up to chefs!)

Rating: 3 flowers

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

great review..i haven't read any of the books in this series..but love a good who-dun-it. thanks for sharing it and bringing this series to my attention.

Dalene @ A Date with a Book said...

I've wondered about this cozy myself. Thanks for the review :) I'm still in deciding mode.

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs