Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: The Forgotten Duke

Author: Jamie Carie
Title: The Forgotten Duke A Forgotten Castles Novel
Publisher: B & H Books
Publish Date: July 1, 2012
Buy: Amazon
Review Copy Provided By: Net Galley
Book Blurb: Tethered by her impulsive promise to marry Lord John Lemon - the path of least resistance - Alexandria Featherstone sets off toward Iceland in search of her parents with a leaden heart. A glimpse of her guardian, the Duke of St. Easton - the path less traveled by - on Dublin’s shore still haunts her.

Will he come after her? Will he drag her back to London, quelling her mission to rescue her treasure-seeking parents, or might he decide to throw caution to the wind and choose Foy Pour Devoir: “Faith for Duty,” the St. Easton motto. The Featherstone motto Valens et Volens: “Willing and Able,” beats in her heart and thrums through her veins. She will find her parents and find their love, no matter the cost.

The powerful yet wing-clipped Duke of St. Easton has never known the challenge that has become his life since hearing his ward’s name. Alexandria Featherstone will be the life or the death of him. Only time and God’s plan will reveal just how much this man can endure for the prize of love.
The Forgiven Duke: A Forgotten Castles Novel


Review: The first thing you must know is that this book is part of a series, and when I say part of a series, I mean one that focuses on the same characters in each book. I wish I had known that before I took the plunge on this one, because you really should read The Guardian Duke before this one. Things will make a lot more sense if you do.

That said, I didn't, but I still read on. It made things a bit more challenging, because it gave me a feeling of being late for a big party, but overall, the author did her best to keep you up to date with things that had happened before the start of this book.

The book has a lot of pros and cons though.

Pros:

The heroine is very strong willed. You have to admire a women who would keep on searching for her parents after they had been missing for a year, especially when the conditions she faced in her search were so dangerous.

The Christian aspect is certainly a strong part of the story, but it isn't the most important part of the story. I liked how Alexendria and Gabriel's faith felt like a natural part of their lives.

There was a lot of attention to detail, especially when the characters were in Iceland. I learned quite a bit about Icelandic Horses from this book.

Gabriel was truly the best character. He had flaws but he wasn't truly doing what he felt best and trying to do so without hurting anyone...well until that moment in Iceland. He faced quite a bit of hardship for Alex. I'm not quite sure she deserved him.

Cons:

John Lemon: Is he or isn't he truly a villain? He's a character that I really had mixed feelings about. Did he really want her for her money? What really motivated him? Too many unanswered questions. Like did he really seduce Alex. ARGH!

Alexandria's feelings for the Duke. Most of the time, her running away to search for her parents seemed rash. She trusted Gabriel, why did she run? I guess I'd know if I read the first book.

I didn't like how she treated John. I understand that she needed him to keep up her search, but she really did lead him on, in a not so nice way.

OMG what the heck is the thing her parents were searching for!! This machine that the manuscript is about seems to give the story an otherworldly feel.

Overall, this was a nice regency story. I probably would have connected better with the characters if I had read the first book, but it did passably well as a stand alone. I'm definitely curious to read what happens in the final book of the trilogy.

Rating:3 flowers

1 comments:

zapkode.marie said...

{new follower here}

I"m not much for this type of book. But I do thank you for sharing.

{http://www.justonemorechapter.net}

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs