Monday, February 8, 2010

What Is Chick-Lit?.

Since so many reader bash Chick-lit, just as they do the romance genre, and to them, I raise my middle finger in salute.

There is nothing wrong with Chick-lit. Chick-lit is women's fiction. Chick is slang for young woman and lit is an abbreviated version of literature.

So what's wrong with women's literature now that its been defined?

Are we scared of books with romance? Are we scared of novels that have some humor?

Obviously so, but there's nothing wrong with Chick-lit and Chick-lit doesn't necessarily mean a book is a romance. I like both.

But here's and example:

Sophie Kinsella and her Shopaholic series are definitely chick lit, but so is Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. You can also add any novel by Jennifer Weiner. Some have romantic elements others don't.

Harlequin has several imprints that cater to chick lit. Mira has some wonderful writers and then there's Red Dress Ink, which is a more British line of books.

Personally I don't care who prints the books, as long as they are good.

I like women's fiction. I like books that make me laugh. I like books about relationships. I don't even care if its a man that writes the book, as long as its enjoyable.

So chick lit, love it or hate it, its still here and there's no reason to avoid it. Its not going to kill you. Read and enjoy!

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs