Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Review: Enchantment

Author: Charlotte Abel
Title: Enchantment
Publisher: Createspace
Publish Date: August 17, 2011
Buy: Amazon
Review Copy Provided By: The Indie Book Collective & the author
Book Blurb: Channie is a lovable teenage mage that lives a simple but magical life with her clannish community deep in the Ozark Mountains. She’s blessed with the ability to enchant those around her, charming not only her family and friends, but any boy with a pulse that doesn’t know how to shield himself against her magic. When her father’s gambling addiction earns the wrath of a powerful mage, the family is forced to flee for their lives. They escape to the suburbs of Colorado hoping to hide amongst Magically Disabled people (like you and me). Channie’s parents are overwhelmed by the modern world and panic when they catch her flirting with a group of “dirty-minded, non-magical city-boys.” They strip away her power of enchantment and replace it with a chastity curse that automatically zaps any boy foolish, or courageous, enough to pursue her. Josh Abrim -- a BMX racer with a killer smile, Olympic dreams and dangerous secrets of his own -- is exactly that kind of boy. When he and Channie realize their interest in each other is more than just friendship, she turns to dark and forbidden magic, determined to break the curse keeping them apart. Her inexperience makes matters infinitely worse and unleashes a malevolent force with the power to destroy everything they love … including each other.

Review: I have mixed feelings about this book. Not that there is anything wrong with the writing or the story. It just didn't totally click with me. Too make things easier I'm going to tell you what I liked and didn't like about the story

Likes:

1. I loved face that this book was about magic and not in the Harry Potter wizard way...(Not that I have anything against Harry...I love Harry). It was a different twist when it comes to the YA fiction which is flooded with vampires and werewolves at every turn.

2. Power Names: I want a power name!

3. The strange things that have to be done so that Channie and Josh can get close, without Chastity's power causing him pain.

4. Three words: Itches For Bitches. Now there is a useful spell! (You have to read it to understand.)

5. The characters determination. Channie and Josh really wanted to be together. I liked how loyal they were even when they screwed up, and how they really did their best to break the curse.

6. Channie's telling people they can kiss her "Lily white..." Tee hee!

7. The story had a sort of fairy tale appeal. The characters had to overcome so many obstacles to reach their goal.

Dislikes:

1. Way to sexual for my taste in a YA novel. Yeah I know sex happens, but crikey even with a chastity spell these two were really all about sex.

2. I never understood why these two hooked up in the first place.

3. Channie's mom and dad were uber evil. Ok, maybe not evil, but certainly not good parents. You just wanted to take all the kids away from them.

4. How did these kids get away with not going to school or skipping classes without getting in trouble?

5. Channie was a little bit to obnoxious at times.

6. Channie's 16 and Josh is 17 soon to be 18 and erm...they are getting married. OMGWTFBBQ! I know..its fiction.. :)

So I did have my gripes with the story, but I did enjoy it. I felt that the second half moved a little faster. It took me forever to read the first hundred pages but the last 130 zoomed right by. It is part of a series, so I'll be checking out the next book, because I want to know what happens.


Rating: 3 flowers

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

you have piqued my interest, I may have to ck this out..i want a power name..i think..LOL

Nat said...

Your review made me laugh! And I would not have liked the marriage bit either. Books that are slow starters are so hard for me to get into!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs