Thursday, March 28, 2019

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster

Author: Jamie McGuire
Title: Beautiful Disaster
Publisher: Atria Books
Publish Date: May 26, 2011
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.





Review: I think the title of this book sums up exactly how I felt about it. It was a Beautiful Disaster. I had such issues with the characters and their behavior and yet I had to finish it. This is a book about a wannabe good girl and a bad boy and how dysfunctional love conquers all.

I now can say, I find Travis Maddox totally creepy...like creepier than I found Edward Cullen. In fact, Travis was the poster child for a dude that needed medicated. He needed therapy...and anger management and a whole lot of other stuff. At first, you feel a bit drawn to him, because well, he's so messed up. But as the story goes on, he's not right...nothing about him is right. He's controlling, in a way that maybe some misguided souls think is sexy?

Abby isn't much better. She wants to be a good little girl to escape her past but then she starts playing Travis and Parker off of each other. Uh...erm..no! The only thing I can say for Abby and Travis is they are so screwed up that yeah, they belonged together. Two products of unhealthy relationships having an unhealthy relationship.

And don't get me started on the friendships...America? Oye! and her boyfriend Shelpley (sounds like dog food to me)

Most of the time I spent reading this book I was in disbelief that any girl with any self respect would want a guy like Travis. There are bad boys, and yeah, they are sexy, but Travis wasn't really a bad boy...he was screwed up and had so many issues. I can't even begin to number them, but when a guy starts pulling ever guy off the dance floor that danced with you...well he might have a mental issue or two or ten. So yeah, for me Travis was disturbing.

The writing was good enough that I finished it, and the ending was way out there with drama, but I have to say, this isn't my type of book at all.

Rating: 3 flowers


0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs