Sunday, May 28, 2017

Book Review: Real Murders

Author: Charlaine Harris
Title: Real Murders
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Publish Date: December 1, 1990
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: 
Though a small town at heart, Lawrenceton, Georgia, has its dark side-and crime buffs. One of whom is librarian Aurora "Roe" Teagarden, a member of the Real Murders Club, which meets once a month to analyze famous cases.


It's a harmless pastime-until the night she finds a member killed in a manner that eerily resembles the crime the club was about to discuss. And as other brutal "copycat" killings follow, Roe will have to uncover the person behind the terrifying game, one that casts all the members of Real Murders, herself included, as prime suspects-or potential victims.


Review: I have never picked up and actually read any of Charlaine Harris' books, even though the entire Sookie series sits on one of my bookcases.

Yeah, my TBR pile is that big.

A few weeks ago, I watched on of the made for tv movies based on the Aurora Teagarden series on Hallmark Mysteries and More, and I enjoyed it, so I wanted to see what the books were like.

Real Murders was a really unique book. Its a sort of cozy mystery, but with a little darker flair to it. Aurora is an interesting heroine. I had to remind myself that this book was published in 1990 (when I was still in high school). She's a 28 year old librarian, with a little bit of inferiority complex. So yeah, I liked her. (I definitely don't see her as Candace Cameron Bure).

Real Murders is an interesting if somewhat macabre group of people, though the group play more a part in the actual murders than in solving them in this book. Someone is targeting them and using murders that the members know about as inspiration.

I was surprised at how little actual sleuthing was done by Roe, which was another thing that set this book apart from other "cozies."

I'm not sure where Aurora falls in the mystery genre, but she's a wonderfully quirky character and there are the typical 2 guys that start vying for her attention. (Why is this always a mystery series thing?) I look forward to reading more of this series.

Rating: 4 flowers



0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs