Sunday, November 29, 2015

Book Review: The Sheikh's Christmas Conquest


Author: Sharon Kendrick
Title: The Sheikh's Christmas Conquest
Publisher: Harlequin Presents
Publish Date: Oct 20, 2015
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: 
Summoned by the sheikh!

Sheikh Saladin Al Mektala isn't used to being disobeyed. Incomprehensibly, the woman he summoned to help his favorite mare, the best horse whisperer in the world, turned his generous offer down! So he takes matters into his own hands.

The snow is falling, the fire is roaring and the mince pies are in the oven when innocent Olivia Miller finds a darkly handsome and physically compelling man on her doorstep. The sheikh she dared to refuse is here to whisk her off to his kingdom, and this time he won't take no for an answer!


Review: I had great hopes for this book when I started reading it. Livvy seemed like a very spunky girl that wasn't going to take crap even from a Sheikh. She was working hard at keeping up the historical home as a sort  of B & B rather than working with horses.

Saladin needs her horse whispering skills for his own horse. I liked Saladin to a point. He wasn't overly arrogant but he did go out of his way to get what he wants.

Then things started to go wrong for me. The power outage from a snow storm as well as Livvy being a virgin just didn't sit with me, that and how quickly these two fell into bed. I always like a little more "getting to know you" thing rather than a fling or a seduction.

The other thing that disappointed me was the lack of "Christmas" in the story. I read holiday stories, because I love that theme in the plot of the story. That element was pretty much nonexistent here, except that Livvy's guests were due for the holiday.

Everything else was pretty predictable from there on, including her healing his horse. I'm not
going to complain about that though, because even in fiction, I don't want to see an animal suffer.

This wasn't a bad read. It is pleasant enough for a quick weekend fix, but it just didn't fit the holiday bill for me.

Rating: 3 flowers



Sharon song playlist.

I imagine the story starting – and ending – with the stirring title song from the film Born Free. I can imagine Saladin the Sheikh galloping across the desert on his beloved horse, Burkaan, to the stirring sound of this triumphant music. Two other songs also capture Saladin’s character for me. The first is What Becomes Of The Broken-hearted by Jimmy Ruffin because I think the lyrics say everything which needs to be said, about the pain and desolation you feel when love dies. https://youtu.be/2vf3ZE7CLg0

Saladin’s other song is Robin Thicke’s You’re A Good Girl and I’m sure I don’t need to tell you why! The Sheikh is a very, very sexy man and he knows very well the effect he has on women...

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs