In accordance with FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, A Chick Who Reads would like to let everyone know that books featured on this blog were either provided by the publisher or author or were purchased by A Chick Who Reads. The books received by A Chick Who Reads from publishers and authors were provided for review and no payment was received by me and did not influence my opinion of the material.
Author: Anne Mather Title: A Forbidden Temptation Publisher: Harlequin Presents Publish Date: Feb 23, 2016 Buy: Amazon Book Blurb: An unwanted desire…
With the death of his wife still raw, Jack Connolly's mood is dark and dangerous. He's not looking for a woman, until he meets buttoned-up but beautiful Grace Spencer, who stirs his senses back to life. Yet Jack cannot act on his feelings, as Grace belongs to another!
An impossible affair…
Trapped in a fake relationship to safeguard her family, Grace knows crossing the line with Jack would risk everything she holds dear. Beneath the hunger she sees in Jack's eyes is the promise of something more…but is it enough for her to surrender to a taste of the forbidden?
Review: I've read books by Anne Mather in the past. She is name that is synonymous with the Presents line. This book had potential, but somewhere it just didn't quite work for me.
This is what I liked about the book.
1. The ghost of Jack's wife. I love a touch of paranormal in romances, especially ghosts.
2. Jack was an unusual hero. There was attraction there, but the romance was pretty much non-existent.
This is what I had problems with.
1. Grace and Jack, there was no real romance between them. Just weird encounters
2. The whole Sean thing. The guy was a total wankpuffin. I totally hated him and couldn't grasp why Grace was such a wimp when it came to him.
3. Grace was supposed to be a smart woman, but she let's everyone walk all over her. I can understand some of it, because she doesn't want to upset her mother who is getting over cancer treatments, but still, most of her behavior is uncomfortable and odd.
4. The sex was too gratuitous. I wanted a relationship to develop between the two of them, but it just didn't happen.
So yeah, this wasn't what I was expecting. It definitely didn't live up to past book by Anne.