Sunday, October 20, 2013

Book Review: What The Paparazzi Didn't See

Author: Nicola Marsh
Title: What The Paparazzi Didn't See
Publisher: Harlequin Kiss
Publish Date: June 2013
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: The secrets behind Australia's most famous smile

Liza Lithgow has her reasons for living life in the spotlight, and they're all to do with protecting her little sister. Now she's finally saved enough money to leave the red carpet behind, what better way to celebrate than with a martini and a man?

The only problem is, the man in question turns out to be a publisher wanting her kiss-and-tell autobiography! Wade Urquart's company wants a story? Fine. If scandal will sell more copies, she'll give them exactly what they want! But what will Wade see—the glossy facade or maybe, at last, the real Liza?


Review: I usually love Nicola Marsh's books for the Harlequin Romance line, so I was excited to see how she'd do on the new Kiss imprint. I probably would have liked this book better if I hadn't read Rosalind James' books that deal with the WAG topic (Wife and Girlfriend).

I have to admit I've never heard of any celebrity other referred to that way...maybe its an Aussie thing. I actually found it drove me nuts in the book after awhile, especially since her WAG status was phony. I wanted more of her back story and there wasn't much of that given.

Liza's character lacked depth and too much focus was put on her sister Cindy that had cerebral palsy. Her sister had more spunk than she did. There was so much emphasis placed on how she had to care for her sister and not enough on why she was attracted to Wade. Their relationship started out as a one night stand, for heaven's sake.

The best part of the book was the Wag tips Liza gives you at the beginning of each chapter. I can't remember the last romance I read that had beauty tips/Martha Stewart living type tips in them. That was kind of cool, until the whole WAG thing started wearing on me and then it bugged me to no end.

My biggest problem with the book was Liza. I couldn't get attached to her. I could understand why she did some of the things she did, but other things not so much. Felt like a secondary character throughout most of the book.

It was a decent enough read, but it just didn't have the right Oomph for me.

Rating: 3 flowers




1 comments:

Lover Of Romance said...

Lovely review!! Hope you are well and getting ready for halloween and enjoying the lovely fall weather! :) Have a great week!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs