Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Goddess Fish Book Tours Guest Post: Starla Kaye

Their Lady Gloriana
The inspiration for the Their Lady Gloriana


I enjoy reading all sub-genres of romance, but I particularly love the time periods in romantic fiction where the heroes appeared to be so much larger than life. Sandra Hill’s two Viking series fascinate me and she does a beautiful job of making their world feel real. Alyssa Day’s Warriors of Poseidon is an excellent series about hardened warriors involving a fictional race from the past who live in modern times. And my long-time favorite stories with heroes in older time periods are the Malorys from Johanna Lindsey’s series, the ones in Catherine Coulter’s Medieval Song trilogy, and Jude Deveraux’s early stories. These wonderful authors and their strong heroes inspired me to write a medieval romance.


The heroes in Their Lady Gloriana came to me in the middle of one night…when I usually get all of my “brilliant” story ideas. I review ebooks for an online reviewer and had been reviewing a lot of gay romance. The stories intrigued me and the closeness between these men fascinated me. I wanted to try writing that kind of story, creating two intense, powerful men in a very harsh, masculine world. Medieval knights immediately came to my mind. I wanted these men to find themselves involved in a complicated relationship in a time when there were gay men, but that kind of relationship was certainly looked down upon. They were tough enough to want to keep their special bond no matter what.


Then I wanted to take that unique relationship a step further. I had also read a number of ménage stories and have been writing about resilient women for a while now. So I decided to try my hand at creating a special relationship involving these three unique characters. It would take an exceptional woman to fall in love with these two strongly bonded men…Gloriana fit perfectly. I loved writing this challenging, sensual story involving three of my all time favorite characters. I fell in love with both heroes, Thomas and Rowan.


Currently I am writing an equally moving romance for Rowan, For the Love of Rowan, which should come out before Christmas 2011 from Black Velvet Seductions.

Book Blurb: Think medieval times when honorable men must do what is required of them. Thomas Lancaster, a widower with bad memories of marriage and a young son he barely knows, is a hardened knight loyal to his king. In reward for his efforts fighting in the Crusades, King Edward gives him Middlemound Castle to hold for the crown. But he must marry the beautiful young widow of the castle’s previous lord.


Lady Gloriana Stewart suffered brutally in her first marriage and has no desire to marry again. She has no choice and must protect her people and obey her king. All she wants is for her new husband to give her a baby. Thomas refuses to even consider it.

Complicating the situation is Sir Rowan Montgomery, Thomas’s first knight, friend, and lover. Complicating the problem even more, Gloriana has feelings for both her new husband and for Rowan.

Book Excerpt: The small contingent of soldiers in chainmail and bearing the king’s banner rode between the rows of silent men straight to Gloriana. Without saying a word, a man extended a rolled parchment to her first knight.

He pulled in a breath and said with grimness, “Lord Middlemound will not be returning, my lady. He died over a month ago in the battles.”

Gloriana’s knees gave out in her shock and one of the nearest soldiers hurried to steady her. “Not returning? Dead?” The words left her mouth in a whisper. Relief filled her instead of sadness.

“King Edward has decreed that you will marry Lord Montrose upon his arrival at Middlemound.”

Gerald watched her. “Lord Montrose is a fierce warrior, I’ve heard. They say he’s the very devil in battle, but a good leader.”

A devil in battle…fierce warrior. Nerves twisted and twined in her stomach. Geoffrey had been fierce, too. A devil as well.

***

Thomas’s glance shifted to Castle Middlemound in the distance. It still surprised him that Edward had commanded he marry Geoffrey Stewart’s widow. He and Lady Middlemound need only be agreeable in bed together to please him. He would not seek out relief from maids or find a mistress. He’d been faithful to his first wife during the short time they’d been together before her death in childbirth. He would be faithful again, though he had no desire to marry again.




Author Info:
Starla Kaye has worn many hats professionally and as a writer. She works part-time with her husband (who believes he is the model example for each of her heroes, “yes, honey, of course you are”) in an accounting firm. A gerontologist by degree, she volunteers in the community with a very active group of senior adults, who provide her with story ideas for senior adult romances she occasionally likes to write for fun. She is a multi-published author on-line in e-book and Print-On-Demand book form, writing as both Starla Kaye and S. K. Fero for Black Velvet Seductions, Blushing Books, Decadent Publishing, and Red Rose Publishing.

Starla Kaye’s website: http://starlakaye.com/


Black Velvet Seductions: http://www.blackvelvetseductions.com/

5 comments:

Starla Kaye said...

Thanks for having me here today and I look forward to responding to comments.

Mary Preston said...

Thank you for sharing your inspiration for THEIR LADY GLORIANA. I enjoyed the insight. The excerpt too.

marypres@gmail.com

Starla Kaye said...

Hi, Marybelle, you keep popping up on my tour, which I'm happy about.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the insight into why I wrote Their Lady Gloriana.

Jenna said...

Hi, Starla. The medieval period is one of my favorites as well, so I'm very pleased to see your title. Sounds like an intriguing premise, although from the title of your second book, I assume Thomas wins the lady. But I'm interested to see how the relationships play out, especially during this period.

Enjoyed the excerpt.

Starla Kaye said...

Jenna, Thomas had to marry her. But you will definitely want to see how the relationships play out. And you won't want to miss Rowan's story either.
Thanks for commenting

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs