Monday, June 24, 2013

Goddess Fish Promotions Book Tours Review: A Gentlement & A Rogue




A Gentleman and a Rogue
by Stephanie Burkhart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLURB:

Royals Edmund and Alice Windsor return to 2011 only to discover their world is now powered by gasoline and electricity - not compressed natural gas. Their attempts to persuade their grandmother, Queen Anne II, falls on deaf ears. Taking matters into their own hands, they enlist Jonas Byron's help and travel back to 1855 to set the time line right.

Now in Lincoln, Edmund is reunited with Lady Keira Russell, the love of his life, but if it isn't one obstacle, it's another. Keira does not want to fall in love with him again. Jonas Byron has taken up with Keira's father to build a windmill, and Edmund's brother, Richard, the Guardian of the Time Machine, has followed Edmund to ensure Queen Victoria makes the right decision when choosing the fuel of the future. Edmund has a choice - make mischief to ensure time marches to the beat of the right drummer, or trust in Keira and her belief that Queen Victoria will make the right decision on her own. Will Edmund lose Keira for good if he makes the wrong choice?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Excerpt :

He grabbed her hand and leaned against the water fountain. The spout was inactive, thank goodness. Edmund hesitated, unsure where to start. He drew in a breath. The best place to start was his feelings. Angling his body, he found her sweet hazel eyes. "I love you."

Her lower lip trembled. "I love you, too."

He cupped her cheek and rubbed her jaw with his thumb. "What are we going to do about it?"

"What can we do? You're from the future. I'm your past." "I can stay with you."

Surprise swept across her face. "Can you do that?"

"I intend to."

"How?"

"I believe Richard's watch is the override."

"But--"

He held up a reassuring hand. "Whatever happens, I'm not going back."

"What about your necklace?"

"I am determined to find a good hiding place for it."

Keira paused, her expression very serious. "Ed, I have to ask you something important."

"All right."

"I know you are convinced that my project fuels your future, but I have to request that
you don't sabotage my father's project. Please, don't use your steel rivets."

"But, Keira--"

"This is important to me."

Confusion pooled inside him. "I don't understand. I'm doing what I have to in order to ensure my future occurs."

She grasped his hands and squeezed, her eyes imploring him. "Then trust Queen Victoria to make the right decision. My father has his pride and so do I. I want to win fairly, not by cheating."

"But, my future--"

"Ed, if we're to have a future as a couple, I must win without cheating."



~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Review: Ah this book is all wibbly wobbly timey wimey! It really combines a lot of my favorite elements  romance, time travel and a historical setting.

Steampunk, how I love thee...let me count the ways...

Ah yes, the only gripe I have is it is book two in series and I didn't know that. Book 1 is called Victorian Scoundrel and the books are part of The Windsor Diaries. I was able to read it without problems, but in a series like this, it is very helpful to have read the first book, because without it you'll be left with some wondering.

This is one book that I almost expected to find The Doctor and his TARDIS to show up in. There's a lot of talk of time travel and time lines and what you should or shouldn't do. (And since it is set in Victorian England...well I was expecting to see Madam Vastra, Jenny and Strax at any given time)

See I can work Doctor Who into just about anything, but I digress.

If you are a fan of the Steampunk genre and you are looking for a quick read, you have to pick up this book. (Though you probably should pick up book 1 first).

Along with the time travel there is some lovely romance going on between Edmund and Keira and Richard and Joceyln. I really liked how their emotions affected how they behaved in that particular setting.

Oh and a wonderful set up for the next book. This is definitely a must read series...

Rating: 4 flowers





AUTHOR Bio and Links:


Author Bio: Stephanie Burkhart is a 911 dispatcher for LAPD.  She was born and raised in Manchester, New Hampshire.  She served 11 years in the US Army and currently calls Castaic, California her home. Stephanie was married in Denmark in 1991 and has two young sons. She adores chocolate and is addicted to coffee.  She writes paranormal, contemporary, and steampunk romance and has two children's books published with 4RV Publishing.

FIND ME ON THE WEB AT:

WEBSITE:
http://www.stephanieburkhart.com

TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieBurkhartAuthor

GOOD READS:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4031660.Stephanie_Burkhart

YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/botrina?feature=mhee

PINTEREST:
http://pinterest.com/sgburkhart/



Stephanie will be awarding a $5.00 Starbucks GC to a randomly drawn commenter at each stop and a Grand Prize of a Coffee & Chocolate Basket: A Gentleman and a Rogue Coffee Mug, a Starbucks GC, Andes Chocolates, magnets, and a Lori Powell Original Book Bag (US ONLY), will be awarded to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour.

13 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Andra Lyn said...

Gosh I love that cover! You are all set in the mindset of romance, a bit of a dashing rogue...all that jazz! Thanks for sharing!

andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Thanks so much for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story! I just want to let you know that I'll be working today from 6 am to 2 pm PST, but as soon as I get home, I'll be checking back for comments.

I never watched Dr. Who, but I do like sci-fi. My favorites are Star Trek and Star Wars. Any other sci-fi fans?

I know there's been a couple of Dr. Who's so I have to ask - who is your favorite?

Smiles
Steph

Rue Allyn said...

Sounds terrific and I LOOOOOOVE steampunk.

Ella Quinn - Romance Novelist said...

Great review!! I tweeted.

Rita Wray said...

The review was helpful, thank you. I absolutely love time travel.

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

The Mistress of the Dark said...

My favorite Doctor

Classic Who: Jon Pertwee
New Who: Matt Smith (Though I think David Tennant is a sexy beast )

Amanda Shalaby said...

I've never read steampunk, but I'm adding this to my Goodreads list. I love historicals, and I love the time travel idea. And I ***love*** your characters names, especially Edmund and Keira. I even named a dog of mine Keira LoL Great post!

bn100 said...

Very nice review

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Andra, Jen Ranieri does a great job with the covers at Desert Breeze. I love what she does.

Rue, I enjoy a good steampunk story, too.

Please, everyone who comments, please leave your email so I can get in touch with you if you win one of the prizes.

Ella, thanks for popping in. I appreciate the tweet.


Ingebord, it's great to see you here. I like time travel too because I love exploring the "What if."

Mistress - Everyone I know says David Tennant is the sexy one!

Amanda, thanks for stopping by. I had a bunch of fun writing this steampunk/time travel. I like the name Keira too and I'm a big Keira Knightly fan.

Smiles
Steph

Catherine Lee said...

Steampunk is so interesting! I've read a couple but would like to read more.

I'm a Whovian. LOVE David Tennant. It will be interesting to see who the next Doctor will be. There is some speculation of whether it could be a female. THAT is mind-blowing!
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

Emily said...

Love the cover, so sexy! Thanks for the review, this sounds like a good book, adding to my TBR.

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Thanks so much for having me this week on your blog and for the review. I just wanted to pop back in and say Emily is my winner for the Starbucks gift card. I appreciate everyone who stopped by.

Smiles
Steph

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs