Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Book Review: The Dawning

Author: Judy Griffith Gill
Title: The Dawning
Publisher: Open Road Media
Publish Date: Dec 18, 2012
Buy: The Dawning
Review Copy Provided By: Net Galley
Book Blurb: 
n a world ravaged by biological warfare, two young survivors fight to protect a supernaturally powerful child Following the devastating Bio Wars, in which genetically modified diseases were weaponized and used with astonishing cruelty, some survivors developed extraordinary powers, such as telepathy. These people, called Talents, are feared and hated by the Normals, who occupy the seats of power in this post-apocalyptic world. As Talents are forced to hide out in wilderness territories, two survivors among them—Serena and Andrew—team up to protect one of the youngest members of their community: a baby, named Grace, who needs protection from the territorial government at all costs.



Review: I'm used to my dystopian novels falling into the YA category. This is the first book from that genre that fell into the adult realm and it left me wanting more, but not necessarily more of the book.

I felt like I was jumping into a series at the second book. The backstory of Serena and Andrew was so powerful that it felt like there was another story before this one that explained away their past better than this story did.

The book reminded me quite a bit of Laura Bickle's  The Hallowed Ones, because the two characters are travelling to find a safe spot with the "Fold"

I have to admit I was confused through a good portion of this book trying to sort out the SAPPS, The Normals and The Talents. This 300 page book took me nearly a week to read, which is more time than most books of that length take me to read.

But it isn't bad, just slow. There are some wonderful points, especially with Grace, when they stay on the farm with Matthew and Gerta, who are Mennonites. It was strange to see a familiar culture show up in this post apocalyptic, dystopian tale.

Then there is the matter of Grace and her potty training and feeding. That was good for a few giggles. (And this book needed something to perk it up)

There's a rekindled romance between Serena and Andrew, but that also left me wanting. She doesn't trust him for such a long time, and then suddenly she does...and the ending..ARGH

I will admit to being totally surprised at who Jamieson turned out to be. I really wasn't expecting that at all.

I think readers that are more into this genre will appreciate this one, probably more than I did, but it is nice to venture outside my comfort zone every now and then, and this was a pleasant read.

Rating: 3 flowers

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs