Saturday, August 7, 2010

On My Wishlist #7


On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where I list all the books I desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming.

I'm going to do a little something different this week, besides the book blurbs I'm going to tell you why the book is on my wishlist.

Author: Oli Smith
Title: Doctor Who: Nuclear Time
Book Blurb: Colorado, 1978. The Doctor and Amy arrive in Appletown - an idyllic village in the remote American desert where the townsfolk go peacefully about their suburban routines. But when two more strangers arrive, things begin to change. The first is a mad scientist, whose warnings are cut short by an untimely and brutal death. The second is the Doctor... As death falls from the sky, the Doctor is trapped. The TARDIS is damaged, and the Doctor finds he is living backwards through time. With Amy being hunted through the suburban streets of the Doctor's own future and getting farther away with every passing second, he must unravel the secrets of Appletown before time runs out! A thrilling, all-new adventure featuring the Doctor and Amy.

Why I Want It: I am a Doctor Who junkie, believe it or not. I love all things Who, and I really would love to get a few books about Doctor 11 and Amy..and I hope Rory. As far as the series go, Amy and Rory are my second favorite companions of the Doctor. Donna Noble is first.

Author: Arthur Phillips
Title: The Song Is You: A Novel
Book Blurb: Julian Donahue is in love with his iPod. Each song that shuffles through “that greatest of all human inventions” triggers a memory. There are songs for the girls from when he was single; there’s the one for the day he met his wife-to-be, and another for the day his son was born. But when his family falls apart, even music loses its hold on him, and he has nothing.

Until one snowy night in Brooklyn, when his life’s soundtrack–-and life itself–-starts to play again. He stumbles into a bar and sees Cait O’Dwyer, a flame-haired Irish rock singer, performing with her band, and a strange and unlikely love affair is ignited. Over the next few months, Julian and Cait’s passion for music and each other is played out, though they never meet. In cryptic emails, text messages, cell-phone videos, and lyrics posted on Cait’s website, they find something in their bizarre friendship that they cannot find anywhere else. Cait’s star is on the rise, and Julian gently guides her along her path to fame–but always from a distance–and she responds to the one voice who understands her, more than a fan but still less than a lover.

Why I Want It: I've heard this book is much like something Nick Hornby would write and Nick is one of my favorite authors. I also love books that have characters that are really into music.


Author: Robert Goolrick
Title: A Reliable Wife
Book Blurb: "Abandoning her worldly life, traveling to a remote Wisconsin town in the dead of winter, trusting her future to a man she had never met - such w...more "Abandoning her worldly life, traveling to a remote Wisconsin town in the dead of winter, trusting her future to a man she had never met - such was Catherine Land's new beginning. But there was an ending in sight as well, an ending that would redeem the treachery ahead, justify the sacrifice, and allow her to start over yet again. That was her plan." "For Ralph Truitt, the wealthy businessman who had advertised for "a reliable wife," this was also to be a new beginning. Years of solitude, denial, and remorse would be erased, and Catherine Land, whoever she might be, would be the vessel of his desires, the keeper of his secrets, the means to recover what was lost. That was his plan." Set just after the turn of the twentieth century, A Reliable Wife is the story of these two people, each plagued by a heart filled with anger and guilt, each with a destiny in mind. But neither anticipates what develops between them - the pent-up longings that Catherine discovers in this enigmatic man and the depth of her own emotional response; the joy Ralph experiences in giving Catherine the luxuries she has never known, his growing need for her, and a desire that he thought was long buried

Why I Want It: I think I've been looking at this book most of this year. I love the darkness of the plot. It is the mixed reviews that are keeping me from buying it. I really think I shouldn't read reviews until after I've read something because it leaves me on the fence and this book is one of those that it either has 5 star reviews or 2 and 1 star reviews.

2 comments:

Aleksandra said...

Great books :) I still don't have any books with the 11th doctor...

Jude said...

Interesting books and I hope you get to read them soon.

My wishlist is here

J x

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs