Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is it with Series Romance?

I've read series romance for as long as I remember. Harlequins, Silhouettes, Loveswept, Candlelights and Zebras have filled my house for ages.

What I don't understand with most of the contemporary series is the huge age differences that the writers almost always give to the hero and heroine. Why is it that the guy is always 10 years older than the girl?

I'm 36 and most of my friends are married to men close to their age. Yes, some people do marry people much older..my dad is 8 years older than my mom, but still, it has always irked me that this is the case.

Plus it would be nice to see the heroines become a little older. No one is ever older than 32.

I feel like an old maid sometimes when I read these books and yet I still love reading romance. I guess I just won't identify with many of the heroines anymore. Not that I ever really did before. Because life just doesn't always throw us a handsome and wealthy prince that will fall madly in love with us and want to marry us in about 4 weeks. Though I won't stop hoping it will happen.

7 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

I agree completely. :)

I'm assuming that the age difference is to show that the man has more experience than the woman and it is his place to usher her into womanhood. LOL

I could be completely wrong about that - but it is my take on it. That is why I gave up on contemporary series romance and moved to paranormal - the age thing is not even a factor. :)

M

Jeremy said...

I think its because men are so immature they have to be older than the woman to be at the right maturity level. lol

My husband is much older than me for this very reason.

Wolfe said...

I agree. I also don't get the virgin thing sometimes too. I read a book where the girl was a 2y yr old virgin and was kidnapped. She fell in love with the kidnapper and lost her virginity to him. LOL....some of these authors.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Age difference never really bothers me, but I guess that's because there's nearly 15 years difference between my parents.

Though, it would be nice for heroines to be a little older sometimes.... Not that I read much romance, I must admit.

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

Completely agree with you, in most of the books there is a huge age difference between the protagonist. But it doesn't bothers me. Other thing like Rebecca said, is the virginity. I have read a lot of book in which the girl is in her twentieths and virgin, common! not a lot of girls are virgin in this days

Lover Of Romance said...

I also agree with you!!! I haven't read many of these books, but when I have I have noticed that as well, but for the most part it hasn't really bothered me, but I could understand why it would be though.

Rowena said...

I know what you mean. I wouldn't mind seeing older heroines, not everyone is so lucky to find their soul mates at 24, 25, 26, etc...

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs