Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Waiting On Wedesday



Waiting On Wednesday is brought to you by Breaking The Spine. This meme spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating.

Author: Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
Title: The Familiars
Book Blurb: Aldwyn, a scruffy, quick-witted alley cat on the lam, poses as a magical animal when he ducks into a shop to avoid capture and ends up purchased as a boy wizard's familiar. Despite needing to keep his mundane nature hidden, Aldwyn settles easily into his new role, bonding with his human loyal, Jack, and befriending two other children's familiars: Gilbert, a tree frog, and Skylar, a blue jay. When an evil witch kidnaps the children and kills their mentor, only their familiars can save them. Stock characters—the underdog orphaned hero with hidden talents; the bossy, know-it-all girl; the dim, comic-relief friend; the wise old mentor—move through a predictable fantasy quest that is nonetheless agreeable. The dual authors, their intentions toward animated movie–dom clear, write competently but perfunctorily. A secret history about the true role of familiars and a world populated with imaginative wildlife adds interest to the clichéd but charming adventure.

Author: Cornelia Funke
Title: Reckless
Book Blurb: Beyond the mirror, the darkest fairy tales come alive. . . .

For years, Jacob Reckless has enjoyed the Mirrorworld's secrets and treasures.

Not anymore.

His younger brother has followed him.

Now dark magic will turn the boy to beast, break the heart of the girl he loves, and destroy everything Jacob holds most dear. . . .

Unless he can find a way to stop it.

If you're looking for happily ever after, you've come to the wrong place.

9 comments:

Sugar and Snark said...

Thanks for introducing me to these books!

My WoW

Lu
Have a look at my new Giveaway :)

June G said...

The Familiars sounds so cute, plus, I'm a cat lover! Reckless looks good. I like dark, edgy stories. Thanks for the heads up!

Book Sake said...

Familiars looks so good it's on our TBR list as well and Reckless is our pick this week over at BookSake.

Kt Clapsadl said...

I hope you enjoy your books!
Here is my Waiting on Wednesday Post

Be sure to check out my 100 Followers Contest Here:
A Book Obsession..s

Alayne said...

I would happy with either of these fun reads I think. Nice picks! My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

Reckless sound like a good one! Great pick!
Thanks for visiting my blog

Cecelia said...

I've definitely been meaning to put Reckless on my to-read list. Nice picks!

If you'd like, you can check out my WoW post here.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i want to read the familiars too!! great pick!

Aleksandra said...

I like your both choices :)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs