Thursday, May 20, 2010

Book Review: My Fair Lazy

Author: Jen Lancaster
Title: My Fair Lazy
Published Date: May 4, 2010
Publisher: New American Library
Ratings: 3 Stars

Jen Lancaster always delivers the funny with her memoirs, and this one is no different, but it is. Inevitably the lady is successful again and sadly that took away some of what made her other books so great. She had problems like you and me. She was snarky like all of my friends. OK, she's still snarky but in this book she's trying to gain cultural enrichment so she doesn't make an ass out of herself at special functions etc.

I don't fault the lady her success, but the subject matter most of the time doesn't make for as many laughs. The best parts of the book revolve around her pets especially Maisy and the newly acquired Thundercats. Even though the Thundercats usually provide some laughs, its Maisy's illness that really gives you a glimpse at the heart of Jen Lancaster. I always find that animal lovers are for the most part good people, and I really think Jen is no exception.

I just don't get as many laughs out of her going to wine tastings and the opera as I would when she was struggling to make ends meet. So for me, I just can't relate as much to her anymore.

That's not to say that its not a good book, because I did get my fair share of amusement out of it. How can you not? I mean this is a forty-something lady who has been successful and is successful again and she watches more reality tv than is healthy for anyone! That alone makes for some laughs, however its just not as laugh out loud funny as her previous books, particularly Bright Lights, Big Ass, in which I had to read at home because I was laughing every other paragraph.

Its worth a read, but perhaps not worth purchasing in hard cover. More fool me, in this instance. If you've read Jen before, you'll like this book, but if you haven't, I'd suggest reading her previous books first.

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs