Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Author Interview: Lindsay Buroker Book Lovin' Bitches Book Tours

Lindsay can you tell us a bit about The Emperor’s Edge?

The Emperor's Edge (a high fantasy mystery in an era of steam)The Emperor’s Edge is a high fantasy mystery adventure novel set in an era of steam. There are monsters, steam-powered mazes, wizards, assassins, and scheming villains. The heroine is a bit of a schemer herself, and she’s the kind of gal who might save the day…but not without getting herself in a lot of trouble first!

EE is currently available as an ebook, and I’ll be doing a print version soon. I’ll also be putting it out as a free podiobook where you can listen to it in segments, sort of like the old radio serials.

Here’s the blurb:

Imperial law enforcer Amaranthe Lokdon is good at her job: she can deter thieves and pacify thugs, if not with a blade, then by toppling an eight-foot pile of coffee canisters onto their heads. But when ravaged bodies show up on the waterfront, an arson covers up human sacrifices, and a powerful business coalition plots to kill the emperor, she feels a tad overwhelmed.

Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down. Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills... or someone wants her dead.

What was your inspiration for The Emperor’s Edge?

I’ve had these characters kicking around in my head for a long time, so I’m not sure where they came from or what inspired me exactly. I did realize, as I was writing the epilogue, that I was doing a fantasy version of the A-team, so I guess I can blame being a child of the 80s as partial inspiration.

I knew I wanted to do a series, so the first book had to explain how these misfits (don’t tell them I called them that) all got together and how the lone woman ended up in the leadership position. Other than that, I just wanted to do a fun story with a mystery and plenty of action to keep things rolling along.

You write sci-fi/fantasy, what do you think is the reason that this genre has stayed popular?

Well, I’m not sure it’s all that popular when compared to other genres, but I imagine people like the infinite possibilities science fiction and fantasy provide. Especially with the stuff that takes place “in a galaxy far, far away,” it’s a true escape from your world and your problems.

Are there any authors in that genre that inspired you to write this genre?

I discovered fantasy in middle school, and R.A. Salvatore and David Eddings were the first authors I read. Before that I was reading historical fiction.

I still remember my first fantasy book was Salvatore’s Homeland. I guess it’s a good thing I liked it, or I might not have gone on to try others in the genre!

Too, I always give a nod to Lois McMaster Bujold as an author I admire. Her Vorkosigan books aren’t fantasy, but they’re very character-driven, and her heroes are lovable but flawed. That’s what I strive for with my stories.

You write children’s books as well. Is your writing process any different?

My children’s adventures are aimed at middle-grade readers, so I try to keep the sentences a little less complex and the overall stories shorter. I have a novel I’m hoping to publish with my goblin heroes this summer, and that’ll run 50-60k words (Emperor’s Edge is 105k).

I’m not afraid to throw in the vocabulary words though. Reading on a kindle or nook makes it easy for kids to look them up!

What made you decide to go Indie to publish your books?

Probably whatever silly trait made me go to work for myself instead of applying for jobs so I could toil for someone else. I like calling the shots and doing things my way.

I haven’t written off the idea of ever looking for an agent or a publisher, but I imagine that will be easier if I make a name for myself first and have fans who will buy my books (these people rock, by the way!).

Do you feel more in control publishing independently?
Encrypted
Absolutely. I also love how speedy the process is. I finished my second novel, Encrypted, in October, and published it in January. It probably would have taken two years to hunt down an agent, find a publisher, and have the book out and available to buy. I’m sure I’ll have several more ebooks finished and published in that time!

Thanks for the interview opportunity! Folks can grab my novels at Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble, among other places. 





0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs