Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Curse Of Characters Series

I'm a fan of mysteries and thrillers along with the romances that I love. I've been a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series for years, and now am getting into Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan and Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series.

All three author's have been writing about the same characters for years. Each series have at least 10 or more books.  When I went to Goodreads to see which books I should try, I noticed one thing as I read the reviews, most readers aren't enjoying the newer books?

Port Mortuary (A Scarpetta Novel)Spider Bones: A Novel (Temperance Brennan Novels)Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum)

The only author I've been faithful two of the three is Janet. I think that's because her books are light reading.  Even if the mysteries aren't the best, I always feel like I've had a good time while I've been reading them.

I've read one book by Kathy Reichs and I found it to be very dry in comparison to the TV show.  I know Bones is very loosely based on the books, but this is a case where the TV writers have done a better job then the author. I like the characters on the TV show, whereas their book counterparts inspire no emotion in my whatsoever.

As for Kay Scarpetta, I'm just reading my first book featuring her character. I picked it up at the YMCA's lending library, and figured I'd give it a go.  It is certainly better than the Reichs book I read awhile back.

So my question is this, do you think author's should continue a series when it has become apparent that they are burning out. Are there any other authors you'd add to this list? Or authors that can write about the same characters and still make good quality stories? Mind you Evanovich is still on that list in my book, so is Charlaine Harris.

3 comments:

A Journey in Reading said...

James Patterson does a good job with his Alex Cross (first is Along Came a Spider), the Women's Murder Club (first is 1st to Die) and Michael Bennett series (first is Step on a Crack).

Tess Gerritsen also does a good job with her Rizzoli & Isles characters (the first is The Surgeon).

Those are really the only character series that I read...but love them all.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The Scarpetta series ran dry when 'Blow Fly' was written.

Literary Marie said...

A couple more disappointing books and I am adding James Patterson to this list. The last few in the WMC and Detective Mike Bennett case have been disappointing. The Alex Cross series is still good.

I love Stephanie Plum! However, the spunk is lost in the newer books. I hope Evanovich finds that original spark we love.

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs